Thursday, April 26, 2012

A rant (Ironically stated designation)

The cursor blinks and so do I. We are at an impasse. My arms fold and my brow furrows but the blink never falters. I know what it wants but somehow I just can't do it. In no hurry, it blinks again. It will wait as long as it takes me to give in.
I know I can't win. In desperation I sigh, pound some keys and press send. My letter is on the move.

Have you ever thought about the fact that every email has a blatantly defined subject?

It bothers me. Gone are the days when a letter could remain veiled in casual purposelessness until the opportune moment. Our society demands that the intent of any dispatch be discernible at a two second glance. Are our communications so deteriorated in complexity that they can be summarized in one deft swoop?

I can understand how some people can find this section of an email desirable, though. If for example, I was the Queen of England, I would take great pride in filling that blasted little box. "As I am the reigning monarch of the British Empire, my subjects are far too numerous to be listed in this dreadfully small rectangle." If however, I was Robinson Crusoe, I would be somewhat abashed to eternally fill the box with the single word, "Friday."


3 comments:

  1. haha. i actually have, on occasion, been very annoyed with the required subject line. sometimes my subjects are just as long as my email.. and how silly is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. We must revolt against this tyranny before all our communications are tainted with such silliness!

    ReplyDelete